The official graphic signature (logo) of the University consists of the words Washington State University and the letters W, S, and U arranged to form a Cougar head, framed by a crest that is accented by a chevron.
The Cougar head embodies the tradition and spirit of Washington State University. The crest symbolizes academic excellence and higher education. Together, the elements represent the academic strengths, dignity, and reputation of the University as well as the Cougar spirit and the loyalty of its students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
Originally designed by Randall Johnson '37, in 1936, the Cougar head is a widely recognized graphic symbol of Washington State University. Johnson modified the symbol in 1959 to reflect the change in the University's name from Washington State College to Washington State University.
The new signature introduced in January 2001 was created by Dave Hoyt '84, a longtime graphic designer at the University.